Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Need-to-Know

*Forward: One of my room mates took offense to this. I'm sorry. This wasn't meant as an attack on them personally. Yes, I'm bothered by the fact that they only want to know about my life when I go away, but primarily this was aimed towards everyone who does this, not just them. ALL GIRLS DO THIS and it drives me crazy. For this past weekend, nothing was asked but that I tell them something, I was using examples from past experience to make the point. I sincerely apologize; I didn't mean to offend anyone.


Why is it that girls always need to know the tiniest details of one another's lives? Especially college room-mates. Especially when you just went home for the weekend and they weren't there to keep track of what you did 24/7. Not that they pay any particular attention to you during the week. This has been happening with me for the past few days.

Last weekend, I got to go home and spend a lot of time with people that I haven't seen in at least a month. I had breakfast with a group of friends, got to spend time at my best friend's house and see his family (and meet the new baby!), and had lunch with a good friend whom I haven't seen since the school year started. That's all I think anybody really needs to know about my weekend. But according to my room mates, that leaves out a lot.

What more do you want girls? Do you want to know how much time I spent in a car? Who's car it was? Who was driving? Where we were going? Do you want to know what I bought at the mall? How much it cost? You don't need to know what time I went to bed every night. You don't need to know who I spent the most time with, why, and whether or not I like them the most out of all my friends. You don't need to know what every person ordered for breakfast.

You don't need to pry into my personal life!

By the time next weekend rolls around, my room mates will be so caught up in their own little worlds that they won't give a flying f*** about my life. I'll sit in my little corner and become just another piece of furniture in their eyes. They'll go hang out with their friends, go to parties, have fun times at the local mall - all without me. If I'm even mentioned, it will probably just be to say how weird I am because I don't like to go partying and get drunk on Friday nights.

So, girls, here's a message for you. If you can't be bothered to spend some time with me and be my friend on a daily basis - friend being someone I can trust and confide in - don't expect me to spill every detail of my private life. If I don't trust you, I'm not going to tell you if I had sex this weekend! Stop asking! And what does it matter if I did? I know for a fact that at least one of you isn't pure, I just don't care. Neither should you.

To anyone else out there who's considering it - if it's none of your business, save me the effort of arguing with you and just don't ask the questions.

And for anyone who's concerned, I'm still a virgin. Sorry roomies, no sexy stories this weekend.


1 comment:

  1. I think people do this in order to try bonding..I mean, guys get closer by playing video games with each other, girls get closer by talking. The fact that some people are interested in others' lives isn't always due to nosiness, sometimes it's to reach out. Sometimes it feels awkward, especially if you don't really know the person, but some are better at reaching out than others. It's a way to get past the "so...what are you majoring" kind of small talk that drives us all insane. Sure, some people are nosy, but asking about someone's weekend can also come out of good intentions.

    ...Until they start asking about your sex life. Then it's just weird.

    ReplyDelete